Saturday, October 29, 2011

Another Dust Collector!


Today was a chilly day on the Bayou. The base temperature was not bad but the wind was blowing something fierce sending the chill factor plummeting. I decided it was a good day to stay inside and get a few things accomplished. I guess I did..or perhaps I just played..whatever, it was a lot warmer inside! While piddling around in the dining room, I picked up something that has been in the family for a number of years. I stared at it for a bit then wondered exactly who had the patience to ever create such a masterpiece! The workmanship is exquisite! The detail is phenomenal! The result is a thing of beauty..one that might not appeal to everyone..but still a thing of beauty!


I am referring to a whole box full of wooden chains...some with the most wonderful finials attached. These wooden chains were hand-carved from a single piece of wood..most likely cedar. There are no joints..no segments..no glue holding them together..just one long chain. Each link was painstakingly carved to make it movable just like any chain and most are about twelve to twenty inches long! On the end of most, there is an elaborate finial. Each finial is a double-compartment cage that contains a carved wooden ball in each. This is incredibly difficult to achieve without breaking the thin rails of the cage! Can you imagine just how time-consuming this hobby must have been? All of the ones that I have been able to find in antique stores have a single cage finial that is squared off. These are tapered in steps giving them a much more delicate appearance. These carvings are called "Whimseys" which gives one the idea of why they were made.


I was told long ago by Granddad that these chains were carved by sailors many, many years ago. The sea voyages would sometimes last for years and to occupy their long days, the sailors would carve. After many such voyages, the craft or "Sailor's Art" was perfected and most were considered master woodcarvers. I can see why they were considered this as it is doubtful that many would be this precise nowadays.


In later years, some folks started labeling this "Tramp Art". Tramp Art being done by those that were either out of work or who chose simply not to work. Theirs was an art form that came from idleness rather than the boredom of the sailors. This art was done much like the sailors' art in using whatever material was readily available but the finesse was not achieved. There were few chains and ball cages done in this form with pieces being more utilitarian.. such as ornate boxes. Not to take away from that art form as I have several of those pieces also, I still love the chains best. Why? Simply because Granddad was a sailor and although he did not carve these, his tale of their origin is far more desirable!


Today, most of the woodcarving or whittling is done by older folks that have a desire to bring back an art form from days past. Many observers say "They have the time to waste creating something useless." I disagree..what might appear to be useless to some, serves a purpose. These creations keep us in awe. The sheer talent, the precision, the patience..all could teach us a few life-lessons. In this day of machine-made, mass-produced gobbledy-gook, to have something like these hand-carved masterpieces is priceless. As I handle them..I stand completely in awe of some unknown artist. Another treasure tucked away in the Little Bayou House.

No comments:

Post a Comment