This afternoon the Monarch butterflies were gathered en masse at the Wild Ageratums. They fed upon the nectar most of the afternoon and then sought shelter beneath the thick leaves. With the extreme change in temperatures expected tonight, I am afraid they will be in for a rude awakening in the morning. Our temps are to drop from a high today of near eighty to a low of below forty...enough to cause them problems as well. Hopefully, tomorrow will be sunny and they can warm themselves enough to carry on their journey. There is not much I can do to help them through the winter...they better get themselves on the move!
One bird that will stay and ride out the cold, is the Night Heron. He is on his usual perch, the pier post. Here this bird will fluff his feathers out to fight the stinging cold of the North wind. By morning light, though, he will be wading in the cold water in search of a breakfast of shrimp. This is the same Night Heron that comes to me for a handout occasionally. When times are tough, he knows that I will throw the net for his breakfast! This one, I can truly say, is one of my "friends" as he returns time after time to visit.
Although most of the hummingbird feeders have come down, the seed-filled feeders will be well-stocked for those that will stay on the Bayou during the winter. Windbreaks will be allowed to remain in tact for the comfort of the resident birds and other critters. Son and I have decided to leave several brush piles just for this purpose. For the duration of Winter, these piles may not look the prettiest in the yard but they will provide a safe haven from the frigid temperatures for many of my Bayou friends! Brrr! It is a tad chilly out there!
No comments:
Post a Comment