I am talking about the beautiful Swamp Lilies aka Spider Lilies that only bloom in the boggy confines of the deepest part of the Bayou. The fact that these lilies bloom just out of reach makes the allure that much stronger. I long to go pick armloads of them so I can fill vases after vase in the Little Bayou House. The sweet, almost Jasmine-like scent would then fill each room like no other air freshener could! Their bright white petals with red stamens would brighten every corner! It would be like I lived in a flower shop!
These wild lilies grow from very large bulbs that for part of the year are actually underwater. Most of the summer, the high tide fills the back of the Bayou..during the late fall, the North winds keep the tides from being near so high and this allows the lilies to push their stems through the mud. The buds quickly develop until in just a few days they are swollen enough to burst open. There are usually around five blooms per stalk so from a distance the entire thing appears to be white. I love my little "Secret, unreachable garden!" As much as I like to share the beauty of the Bayou, it is sort of nice to think that this garden is blooming just for me! Perhaps, though, I will try to dig up a few bulbs this winter just to see if they will grow in the structured gardens in the yard. If not..I will continue to enjoy them just where they are!
No comments:
Post a Comment