Several hours later, the sun had indeed made itself rise above the clouds and give us a sunshiny day. My cousin, who has been visiting for the past few days, decided a hike back to the pier was in order. So off we went. Once there, we could not help but fish a bit. Then suddenly..a wall of water appeared to our right! A huge thing that actually blocked out the view of the buildings behind it! This was a huge arcing wall of water! Perhaps some wayward giant whale was stuck in the Bay and the water was it using its blowhole! Maybe there was some anomaly causing a cloud to rain sideways! Or for lack of a better explanation..maybe a gigantic geyser erupted but was being forced to a weird angle by a super hero trying to save the world! Being the brave cousins we are, we were not afraid one bit! We would sit on that pier and keep watch! Our vigilance might help save the world!
Of course there really was no reason to be frightened but hey..we are brave! Anyway, as near as we could tell, this wall of water was some sort of exercise or test on a fireboat with a fireboat being sort of like a fire truck but on the water. A fireboat..that seemed to be the nearest explanation that either of us could think of at the moment! A few pictures were taken of the wall of water but from that point on, we were fully content to sit and watch the plume of water shooting across the Bay. Later in the evening, I was informed that this assumption was actually correct..it was a test of the pumps that were going to be installed on a boat. It was really rather interesting..and bit out of the ordinary. Although, that snorting whale, sideways raining cloud and geyser-squelching superhero would have been far more interesting!
My cousin left for Atlanta in the late afternoon, leaving me to try and find something to fill the rest of the day. It was boring! I had so enjoyed having someone else in the Little Bayou House that now it seemed far too quiet..too empty! I headed back to the pier for some consolation...or call it instinct..but still I headed to the pier. Ezzy and I stared out over the water..surely something interesting would occur. The Bayou has never let me down! I scanned the calm water in search of one of the alligators..nothing. I tried fishing for the redfish that were breaking near the shoreline...nothing. I gazed at the horizon, hoping for a gorgeous sunset..nothing. The sun sank down behind the pine trees with an unbeknownst quietness. The day was done. Ok..maybe the day was not so out of the ordinary..still..it was quite extraordinary!
No comments:
Post a Comment