This evening when on the pier, I saw what appeared to be good many ducks huddled together against the chilly wind. I watched curiously as they stayed in a tight wad. Not a one ventured out more than a few feet from the group and when it did, it quickly returned to the huddle. Their dark color, light bills and white undertail parts easily identified these "ducks" as not ducks at all but American Coots. As I watched them, I pondered the fact.."What were these Coots doing?" Were they actually cold? Surely not..it is a balmy 60 degrees..not enough for these guys to seek the warmth of each other. Sure the wind was chilly but..hey..they could always get alee of the wind. Was there a predator nearby and this was a "safety in numbers" ploy? Or were they just really happy to see each other? By reading up on American Coots, I found out that it is actually a defensive ploy. Obviously, they felt there was some danger lurking about..perhaps it was me that they feared. Hmmm..no need to fear me little guys..I won't even call you a derogatory name like "Old Coot"! Instead we will just call you Coots and be happy you are here! (I counted over twenty Coots in this "coverts" ..one of the collective nouns describing a group of Coots!
The American Coot is a strange bird when it comes to being a water bird. It does not have webbed feet! It has lobed feet not unlike those of the Pied-billed Grebe. The bill is not duck-like but more chicken-like and maybe that has something to do with folks calling this a "Marsh Hen". Still, I like the American Coot..it brings a bit of interest to the Bayou.
No comments:
Post a Comment