Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sleeping bees and rainbow dogs!


Have you ever wondered just what other critters do during the nighttime hours? We all know that there are diurnal creatures and nocturnal creatures. The nocturnal ones such as owls, bats, mice, armadillos and a host of others obviously do their hunting and foraging after the sun goes down but what about those creatures that are strictly out in the daytime? I pondered the fact this afternoon while I was busy doing nothing! I had finished my chores and headed outside as usual when I spied a bumblebee. The little bee was "busy as a bee" gathering nectar from the goldenrod by the pier. A good half hour was spent in amazement as the tiny critter worked the flowers from one end of the plant to the other. Tiny flecks of golden pollen collected on the hairs of her body giving her an iridescent quality. She was carrying gold! She would sip the nectar from the blossoms and gather the pollen on the fuzz or pile covering her body. Quite the pretty little bee, she was!


Then as the sun started to set, I wondered just where she would spend the night? Would she head back to a nest somewhere? I sat and watched. The little bee just kept on working as the sun slid down behind the pine trees. Hmmm..it was starting to get a tad bit dark to be outside near the marsh edge. One never knows what nocturnal critter might slip out of the marsh unseen. I sat a bit longer. Sure enough..just as it was getting about too dark to see, she chose a sleeping spot. The little bumblebee chose a blossom toward the middle of the plant and clung to it. She had settled in for the night. The little bee was just going to sleep hanging upside down on the goldenrod! Ahh..gives a new meaning to "breakfast in bed" ..now doesn't it??


Speaking of bed..early this morning with the first rays of sunlight beaming through the windows, I had to giggle a bit. On the window ledge there is a host of crystals and prisms that scatter rainbows over the entire room with the rising sun. This morning, however, these rainbows were scattered all over Ezzy, the sleeping dog! She was still all snug in her bed when I observed the phenomenon of the Rainbow-hued dog! I suppose she thought it a mite rude of me to awaken her by taking pictures of her even before she had a chance to primp or pose! She was oblivious to the rainbows splashing about on her fur..something that reminded me a bit of the "Wizard of Oz" segment of a "horse of a different color"! My dog was definitely a "dog of a different color"! Sometimes you just have to have a good giggle first thing in the morning even if it is at the expense of some unsuspecting friend! Good Ole Ezzy..she has no clue that my giggles were at her. She was just happy to have a bit of attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment