Monday, July 15, 2013

A Day (or at least five minutes) In the Life of a Bug!

As I sat at the table today, I was pleasantly surprised at a visit from the Pileated Woodpecker.  The young bird flew into the dead Black Gum Tree that sits not ten feet from the window.  These are normally rather shy birds that keep to themselves.  They would rather be far down in the woods near the creekbed which made me ponder why he was visiting so close to the house.



I watched as the bird cocked his head from side to side as he held onto the rotting wood.  Then he rapidly plunged his beak into an existing hole.  I was not surprised that the woodpecker had his prize with just one try..this tree was full of all sorts of bugs!  Several more attempts and he, obviously, had his fill.  I marveled at the ease the wings were spread and he left my view.



As soon as the bird left, a bug scurried out of a hole in the tree. Hmm?  How had the woodpecker missed this one?  This was an Eyed Click Beetle and a rather large one at that!  Curiosity caught me so I headed out to watch the insect.  I wondered where in the world this critter was heading so fast!  Down and around the tree the beetle raced.  Once he hit the ground, his journey continued.  He sped as fast as his little bug legs could carry him on to the next tree.





There he climbed until I almost lost sight of him only to return within seconds.  Down and around this tree he raced until he was almost to the bottom.  Then he turned sharply and headed to a small hole right at the ground level.  Was this his whole intention from the start?  Had he left the dangerous hole at the top of one tree to the safety of a home on the lower level?  Would he be welcome in this hole or was there some large spider waiting to devour him as he entered?  These questions would never be answered as I never saw the bug again.  I waited but he never returned!





As far as a hole is concerned, I must admit this was a delightful one!  It did seem to be a welcoming abode for some critter.  There was a cluster of mushrooms growing above the entrance and a few small plants that waved happily in the wind on either side of the "door".  Not to mention..Santa (rescued from a past hurricane) stood watch over the area..guarding all creatures..large and small.  Especially, Click Beetles running from Pileated Woodpeckers!


No comments:

Post a Comment