Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Garden Helper

I was up with the birds this morning!  There were a lot of chores that I needed to do before rains set in for the day.  Thunder out over the Gulf was my alarm clock and I knew that it would be just a matter of time before those storms would swing inland.  My herbs are at the optimal point for drying so I had to harvest this morning.  My hike to the pier would have to be postponed for a different day. While heading toward the Sage patch, I passed a few volunteer Zinnias.  These have been doing so well and have livened up the Rose Garden tremendously.  Their bright blooms remind me of Pop's flower gardens back on the farm.  He always loved his Zinnias as they would bloom nigh on the entire summer!  I do believe these will do the same if I can keep the rabbits from nibbling them to the ground.
 


This morning, however, there were no rabbits munching my flowers.  Instead, I found a nice plump Carpenter Bee resting on the tiptop of a lovely pink flower!  Obviously, the bee had spent the night right there and was still a bit "waterlogged" from the rains that pelted the area during the nighttime.  The early morning sunshine was beaming down on his wings which I assume felt mighty fine after the soggy night.  Being curious, I gently poked the bee.  It was definitely still alive but needed some warming before it could carry on about its business for the day.

The black spot in the center of a yellow thorax is a identification mark of a Carpenter Bee!

After checking the Sage and deciding that it could benefit from one more day's growing, I returned to the bee.  It was still on the flower but was moving about a bit more.  Its antennae were wiggling and it was trying to sip a bit of the sweet nectar that the Zinnia supplied.  As much as I do not like these bees for the damage they can wreak on wood, it was nice to see it pollinating the plants of the garden.  Most bees are welcome in my garden.  With the noticeable lack of Honeybees lately, I appreciate any and all pollinators that come.  I watched as the Carpenter Bee finally warmed enough to fly and off it went to visit flower after flower.  Ahhh, with the bee's help the seeds formed from these flowers will produce lovely plants next year!  Carry on, Little Bee, carry on!  Pollinate those Zinnias!



As a happy note, I did see quite a few Honeybees in a large tree down the lane!  I hope they decide to stay in the area!  Perhaps I need to plant more flowers!  On a sad note, our bees are dying out rapidly due to "safe lawn chemicals".  Folks!  These chemicals are not safe at  all!  Find critter friendly alternatives..please! This habit is taking a toll on the bee population and if things do not change soon..we will not be seeing bees of any sort in our gardens.  Without bees to pollinate, it will not take long before the world starves.


No comments:

Post a Comment