Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Perfectly Nice Gesture!

Every now and again, something really nice plops right down in front of you!  Someone will do something that warms the heart and makes life a lot easier.  It does not have to be much..just a kind word can suffice..or as was the case, today, it can be a large project!  Just a little less than a year ago, old Hurricane Isaac decided that I did not need a bench on the end of my pier.  The tide waters rose above the pier and washed our homemade bench to parts unknown.  We never found even a piece of the well-used settee.  I missed the bench.  Having it on the end of the pier made sunrises and sunsets much more enjoyable!  But..it was gone and I could make do without another for a while..and I did.  

Early this morning while Michael and I cut grass, Mark started sawing planks.  He was on a mission and even a sudden rain shower could not stop him!  His creation?..a beautiful bench for the end of the pier!  Now I am a lady of leisure!  I can sit with my mug of coffee early in the morning and watch the sun rise above the pines on the east side of the Bayou.  I can sit while catching a mess of croakers or redfish for the day's lunch.  And then..at the day's end, I can sit while watching the sun set behind the pines on the west side of the Bay.  Oh, how delightful it is to see this lovely bench!



Actually, Mark informed me that this is just one of two benches he plans on building for the pier.  The old bench was huge and made of massive boards.  This made it difficult to carry which is why old Isaac had his fun with the seat.  There was no way for me to lift and carry the thing several hundred feet up the pier and then another several hundred feet up the board path.  The gigantic thing had to stay!  Hurricane Isaac, on the other hand, had no problem tossing the bench around like it was a featherweight plastic thing.  These new benches are much better!  Mark made them lighter and smaller so if (and when) another storm passes this way, I can hoist the bench to safe ground!  His new design is actually much more comfortable, too!  We tried them out this evening and found them to be quite delightfully easy to use!    Even Ms. Ez seemed to approve!  (Although she prefers to snooze directly on the pier!)  This perfectly nice gesture was just that..perfect!  Mark knows what I like and I absolutely love my new bench!  I think he is quite "perfectly nice" as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment