Thursday, July 18, 2013

The (Not So) Mystery Critter!

Yesterday's mystery critter still remains at large!  Our GameCam only caught photos of a raccoon, a 'possum and a rabbit.  I must admit that the raccoon did look like a possible suspect as in the picture, I am not at all sure if it had a tail.  Our tailless, mystery critter might just be a tailless raccoon!  It is possible..if there is such a thing.  Here on the Bayou anything is possible.  I suppose a raccoon could lose its tail to an alligator!  Anyway, for now the mystery critter from yesterday's post remains just that..a mystery!



This morning when I was on the pier, a not-so-mystery critter paid me a visit.  Ms. Ez and I were just sitting there minding our own business when in popped an old friend!  Of course, this was my old friend and, well, Ms. Ez's possible critter-to-chase!  A fat nutria rat waddled in to munch a bit of the marsh grass as breakfast.  While Friend Nutria ate, Ms. Ez and I made no effort to conceal our presence.  This did not seem to bother the nutria one bit.  Breakfast was evidently more important than having an audience.



This is not say that the critter was not watching us.  Periodically, the nutria would look up and stare at the dog and me as if pondering why we were so peaceably sitting there.  If it only knew that Ms. Ez would have jumped in that marsh after it had I let her.  Her legs were twitching with anticipation while watching the critter!



Not once did the nutria show fear of either the dog or me.  Perhaps it knew that we meant it no harm.  It did, however, shuffle away quite quickly when a large heron flew in to hunt for breakfast!  Hmmph, I like that!  The nutria is more afraid of a bird than of me or the dog?  I cannot see the reasoning behind that idea!  With the nutria gone, Ms. Ez and I decided to spend a bit more time watching the heron!  Life on the Bayou is fascinating..if you have patience!  Ms. Ez and I have no problem sitting on the pier watching critters!

No comments:

Post a Comment