Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mystery Critter!

Michael and I bought a "GameCam" for Mark as his Father's Day gift.  He had been saying he would like one just to see what crawled, hopped, scurried or wriggled about the hillside at night.  Since he set it up, we have caught pictures of mostly rabbits and coons.  It seems that either not much else is coming within camera range or the critters of the Bayou are camera shy.  Every morning, Michael checks the pictures.  Sometimes there is nothing at all in the picture so we have come to the conclusion that wind can also trigger the camera.  We had a bad storm whip through the area and that goofy camera took two hundred pictures of a leaf!  Our most exciting series of pictures was of the growth of a mushroom!  Yes, a raccoon triggered the shots but in the background we could actually see the progress of the mushroom's growth!  That was fascinating..sort of...

Nothing unusual was ever caught roaming about the hillside..until we checked this morning.  Three pictures had been taken.  The first two showed nothing.  However, the third caught a nice size critter roaming through the garden.  At first, I thought this was a raccoon albeit a very pale colored one.  Then Michael pointed out that the critter had no tail!  Sure enough, the familiar ringed tail had gone missing!  A rabbit...a very large rabbit?  Perhaps..but the fur did not match any rabbit that I had ever seen!  Ponder, ponder...just what was this critter?



Later this evening, I sent the picture to my brother.  He is pretty astute when it comes to critters.  He thought it looked a lot like a 'possum.  I was not completely convinced as 'possums have tails and this one did not.  At least, I could not see one in the picture.  Maybe my picture is of the Bayou Critter!  This elusive critter is not to be confused with Big Foot, Yeti or Chupacabra but, like these, is rarely seen.  My picture being blurry and not showing the face of the animal could very well qualify it for being of the "unknown"!  Maybe I should call all the news people and tell them that I photographed the legendary Bayou Critter!  Or maybe I should hope for a better picture tonight so I can fully identify this thing as a 'possum!


No comments:

Post a Comment