Thursday, July 25, 2013

Three Fat Coons and a Little Red Fox!

I am loving that GameCam thing that Michael and I bought for Mark!  I always knew that critters creepy-crawled around the Bayou at night but never had the patience to sit out in the mosquitoes all night to try and catch a photograph.  Once that sun goes down, the biting bugs come out in droves and make a tasty meal from my blood.  I sort of want to keep my blood so I stick with the daytime pictures and leave the nighttime critters to their own happy little times.  Now that we have the night camera, I can see what prowls around once I have gone to bed. Most of the time we have been catching the usual rabbits, coons and 'possums in the photographs.  Other than one "mystery" critter, there has not been anything too exciting.  Until last night..or should I say early this morning.



Obviously, just about the time I was making my first pot of coffee, we had a visitor!  Michael has the nightcam set up to face the canebrake which sits at the end of our kitchen drain.  (Yep, we still can allow our kitchen sink to drain under the cane.  This waters the cane delightfully but, also, fertilizes it with whatever comes off of the plates into the dishwater.  Tiny scraps of food wash down the drain and under the cane.)  Critters seem to love the drain just as much as the bamboo does!  During the night, three large coons visited the plot of ground and picked through some old pecan shells that we tossed out earlier in the day.  The coons were busy for quite some time but eventually left and then a few hours later the camera caught a new motion!  A fox had wandered into the path of the camera!  From the looks of it, this is actually a fox kit.  A young thing that has not perfected its hunting skills as of yet and is relying on scavenging to find a meal.  The young fox was quite thin and was not beyond digging in the drain to find any tidbit of food.  The fox stayed near the area and the camera clicked picture after picture!  The final shot is one where the fox kit actually noticed the camera and decided to investigate!  The camera had not adjusted to the morning light as of yet so the picture is quite bright but I am actually very thrilled with the fact that we still have our fox!  I have not heard any of them for quite some time and was afraid that they had moved out of the area.  Perhaps if this little tot learns to hunt well, our rabbit population will be thinned a bit!







I wish that I had taken the pictures of the fox but, alas, I will have to depend on the GameCam to do this for me.  If and when this little fox decides to pay me a visit when I am out and about, I will surely snap its picture!  I am just very happy to know that fox can still be found around the Bayou!

No comments:

Post a Comment