Tuesday, August 27, 2013

And the Saga Continues...

Today the lawn machines and I waged war!  My day started off full of energy and great expectations!  A cool sixty-eight degrees set me in motion.  The recent rains caused to grass around the Little Bayou House to grow to great lengths and I wanted it cut!  Today was the day! First off, I needed to do the trimming.  My weed-whacker thingy had been carefully hung in the shed just for this use.  After plying it with a full spool of new cord, I was in business!  For a good hour, I whacked!  I cut and trimmed weeds that were from a mere few inches to a massive four feet in height!  Yep, that whacker thingy was getting a good workout!  Michael, in the meantime, was pushing his lawnmower down behind the canebrake.  I smiled to think that soon the yard would be beautiful once again.  Moving into the Rose Garden, I continued the trimming around the raised Mint Bed and then started edging the roses.  Whappa-Whappa-Whappa!  Huh?  Something sounded a bit strange.  Thinking a vine had wrapped around the spool, I turned off the machine.  Nope..no vine!  Well, I would try again!  Whappa-Whappa-Whappa!  Oh, no.  Something told me that I had a problem!  That weed-whacker and I fought for the last time...and I won!  I waved to Michael.

By now, Michael knows that if I stop his mowing, it is because something..umm..terrible has happened to whatever lawn machine I am using.  He is used to coming to my rescue.  He has reattached wheels to lawnmowers, found lost gas tanks that were somehow knocked off the mowers and rewired weed-whackers!  "What, now?" he queried.  "Ummm, it is making a weird noise!" I replied. He turned on the machine..Whappa-Whappa-Zing!  Oh, that was new!  Michael gave me "that" look and said, "Sounds like Pop will be buying you a new Weedeater.  I was in denial!  "No!  This one is still good!  You just need to tighten whatever is making that weird noise..and I never heard the "Zing" before."  That was when he decided to show me the hole in the side of the plastic housing around the motor.  I was bewildered to say the least! "How did that get there?" I asked as if it just suddenly crept up and appeared since I handed him the machine.



By this time, Michael was in the process of taking the thing apart.  Well, no stupid weed-whacker is going to ruin my day..I had grass-cutting to do!  I cranked up my new mower (I killed the old one last month!) and started cutting.  Leaving Michael to deal with the now-defunct trimmer, I was determined to finish the yard.  About ten minutes later, I saw Michael coming to the area where I was working.  He reached out and handed me some little metal ball bearings.  "I think there should have been more than four in the thing. That is what shot out the side of the plastic housing."  Well, now!  That is about as stupid of a thing as I have ever heard!  I asked him why they shot out and he told me that perhaps it was tired.  What?   Anyway, the machine lost the battle.  My weed-whacker and I have parted ways and not on good terms.  Another one bit the dust!  Gone!  Kaput!

Later, Michael mentioned that I sure have a way of killing machines.  How do you like that?!  I gave him the cold, simple truth...I am blazing trails!  I take those machines where no machines should ever go!  I make life easier for the next person who comes along to cut behind me!  I...well...I do break a lot of lawn equipment.


No comments:

Post a Comment