Monday, August 26, 2013

Hidden in the Dusty Depths of my Mind!

My memory is not just slipping but I rather think it is fully careening downhill at the speed of sound.  Michael did pull out all of my fall and Halloween decorations just as I asked him to do.  This is not an easy task as all seasonal decorations are stored upstairs and I always want them downstairs!  Box after box, crate after crate, bin after bin..the decorations were pulled from the closets and hauled down the stairs.  The whole ordeal took approximately two hours!  After we got them all downstairs, I started digging through the mountain!  Most of the decorations, I remember!  Most...some I have no clue as to where I acquired them!  But, then again, that does not bother me much.  Yearly, I am "donated" a good many decorations by folks who do not want to store them.  They know that I love to embellish the entire house!  I do not mind storing decorations, Folks!  So..yes!  I will always gladly take your leftover plastic Jack-O-Lanterns and  rubber bats!  Like I said, I remember most of the decorations.  It was something else that inexplicably was stowed away with the decorations that confuses me a tad.

Somehow, a crocheted tablecloth or..to my way of thinking..a crocheted bedspread was tucked in with the ceramic pumpkins.  Why?  I have no clue. Most likely it was used to buffer the pieces from breakage. That is fine.  It is not why it was there that really confuses me.  It is where I acquired said crocheted piece!  I am thinking it has to be a hand-me-down heirloom that someone bestowed upon me last October.  Why else was it in that box?  But, who gave the lovely thing to me?  Yep, that memory is hidden in the dark depths of my feeble brain..somewhere behind a few boxes of dusty ideas and under a mess of spiderweb cloaked notions.


The strongest feeling is that this is either from Great Aunt Thelma's belongings or Great Aunt Velma's.  These two were sisters-in-law.  They had married brothers who were the brothers of my maternal grandmother.  I believe this is not from my paternal grandmother as her work was much neater and tighter.  This, although lovely, has a few mistakes and is done with looser stitches.  So...that said, I am now proudly displaying the piece on my dining room table.  Since it is far too large for the table, it will be moved to the guest bedroom as soon as I wash all of the bed linens and decorate the room for fall.  It will be a delightful touch over the dark red comforter.  Oh, and if any of you fine folks reading this, recognize the piece and can enlighten me as to its origin..I sure would love knowing!  It is a treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment