Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Two Hats..a learning experience.

I crochet a bit now and again.  I do not profess to be great at it or even moderately good at it but I do enjoy creating.  While traveling to Georgia to visit our new granddaughter, I crocheted.  I had a grand idea to crochet her a winter hat!  I found the instructions on the internet and was pleased with the simplicity of the pattern.  This was great!  In the seven or eight hours of travel time, I should at least be able to get one hat finished!  Boy, was I stupid!  There is the neat little thing of needing an internet connection to be able to visit websites on the internet..something that my laptop cannot do while in a car.  There went my pattern off into the oblivion of the internet dark hole!  So, I winged it!  I crocheted something that looked vaguely similar to a hat.  I had no idea if it would even fit our little grandbaby or not but I at least had a bowl-shaped wad of yarn made!

Once we got to our son and daughter-in-law's house, I sort of forgot about the so-called hat.  That baby girl drew all of my attention away from any creative projects.  Then one sleepless night, I pulled out my bag of yarn and hooks.  Aha!  The hat tumbled out of the bag and begged to be decorated.  Two leaves and three flowers were made and attached to the hat.  A few beads were added to give it a bit of "glitz" and I called it complete.  It did look sort of cute but would it fit?  Hmmmm.   The big debut of the hat came the next morning.  Ahhh...the hat fit nicely and, of course, my sweet granddaughter looked as cute as a bug!  Inspiration hit!



That very same afternoon, I started another hat.  This one, I made a tad bigger since she is growing so fast!  The crocheted hats do have a bit of stretch to them but one stitch larger would insure that this hat would fit even during late winter.  How adorable she looked in this one!  I made it with bright purple yarn and added a pompom to the side.  Not bad for no instructions! Even though we had internet connection at their house, I did not even use the pattern I had found.  Hats are simple!  Decorating hats is fun!   Making the two hats not only provided a nice gift for the baby, it also gave my waning creativity a big boost.  I now have a bunch of ideas swirling around in the brain!

My sweet granddaughter will be quite the little diva in all of the hats that her MawMaw plans on making for her!  Now...if I could only figure out how to make some other items.  Wouldn't a sweater or coat to match the hats be just divine?  Hmmmm?  I guess I better stick to a pattern for something that complicated!  Or..I could just stick to making hats!


No comments:

Post a Comment