Tuesday, November 12, 2013

From within...

Every now and again, a person just has to kick back and take care of his/her own self.  I have been busy with orders for gourds this whole past week.  Things have been slow for nigh on a year and suddenly, requests for handpainted gourds are beginning to pile up.  I actually have had to stop taking any new orders as I will never get them finished before Christmas.  It is funny how so many people do not realize that it takes a good bit of time to complete one of these things! Every one that I had on hand skipped out of here in a heartbeat and now, I am working like crazy to paint more.  My little, elfin-self was being run a bit ragged!  I needed to find a sanctuary in the midst of all this hustle and bustle!

This morning, I was determined to catch the sunrise.  For some reason, the quiet time that I spend on the pier in the morning starts my day perfectly.  I feel the peace of the Bayou surge through me and my day lights up like the eastern sky.  This is my peace..my paradise..my sanctuary.  I stood this morning watching as the colors changed from pitch black to a glorious array of hues.  The sky looked like a crayon box exploded!  As I reveled in the beauty, I could hear the splash of pelicans diving for breakfast.  In a nearby dead pine, the osprey was calling its mate.  The loud, shrill screams echoed across the marsh.  Next to me, Ms. Ez, the dog, sat staring at a rabbit that made its way across the mudflats.  Her head was on my knee as she sought out any warmth from the north wind.  Yep, this was my sanctuary.



Now for you.  Take time to take care of yourself.  Even if it is just five minutes of relaxing, it will help.  Close your eyes, breathe deeply, think positive thoughts and bring peace to your mind.  A healthy mind goes a long way in having a healthy body.  Find your own sanctuary from the chaos that we call life.  If a sunrise on the Bayou is not available, then seek out a quiet spot in a garden, take a walk in the brisk morning air or even enjoy a cup of tea in a comfy chair by a sunny window.  Whatever it takes, find some serenity every morning. Start your day with a calmness that will last through any turmoil that the day presents.  Heal your inner self.

No comments:

Post a Comment