Friday, November 1, 2013

The Perfect Afternoon

I busied myself all morning by taking down any decorations that were up for the Mystery Party.  The rooms were stripped of all their abandoned house "glory" and everything was packed for storage.  I wanted to get this done early as I had a very important visitor coming in the afternoon.  I did not wish to be distracted by any chores.  My visitor was to be here right after she got out of school for the day.  My sweet grandniece was to come spend the afternoon crafting.  What better bonding time is there for an old lady and a young girl!  She wanted to learn how to make corn husk dolls.  This is an art from days past.  Not one that many young girls would ever dream of doing but Macie asked.  I was thrilled!  Not only for the opportunity of teaching a near-lost craft but also for the time to spend with someone so sweet as this young lady.


We cut, folded and wired together a simple doll and then spent the rest of the afternoon chatting about everything from her school to broccoli!  My sweet little grandniece had grown into a young lady at some point! Not longer was there talk of Disney princesses or My Little Ponies.  Now the conversation was about fashion and food, likes and dislikes, schoolwork and fun times.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.


After Macie left to go home, I headed to the pier.  I was just in time for a most beautiful sunset.  As I sat enjoying the ever-changing sky, I thought that Macie is a lot like that sunset.  She is vivid, bright and constantly changing..growing..becoming more beautiful and captivating.  Yep, I sure enjoyed this afternoon and hope that Macie and I can share many, many more before she grows weary of spending time with an old lady.  She sure has my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment