Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ducks in a Row

One thing that is pretty common in wintertime here on the Bayou is the ever present low tide.  The north wind pushes the water out of the bayous and bays and far out into the Gulf.  Not only does this make for difficult fishing (no water!) but, also, leaves a lot of exposed mudflats.  These mudflats are a boon to most of the critters that are hunting for a bit of sustenance to ward off the cold.  Tiny fish, crabs and water bugs are trapped high and dry making them easy pickings for the hunters.  This same low tide can change the habits of a lot of other critters as well.


Early this morning, Mark and I were meandering about the hillside when I heard the familiar quacking of our friends the Mottled Ducks.  These ducks are the only ducks adapted to nesting this far south.  I am happy to say that my marsh has been chosen as nesting grounds for a good number of the birds.  Several years ago, a pair of Mottled Ducks found the Bayou suitable to raise their first brood.  Since then, the number has grown to about twenty or so of the ducks.  This makes me happy as it means my marsh is healthy!  The ducks would not nest here if it were not.  Hopefully, the coming spring will see many more little ducklings added to the family!


After hearing the ducks announcing their presence, I slipped down to the edge of the marsh.  I wanted to do a headcount of my friends.  Sure enough as I was standing there, the ducks rounded the corner of the small stream of water.  One by one, the ducks swam past me.  Usually, the group stays together in a nice cluster or at least in smaller groups of five to six birds.  This time, however, there was not enough water for the ducks to mingle together!  They had to swim single file!  As they paddled by, I could see mud being kicked up by their webbed feet. The water was just a few inches deep!  Poor little duckies!  They had to literally "yell" at one another!  The leader went around one bend in the Bayou while the tail end of the line was far on the other side.  The old saying of "Getting my ducks in a row." came to mind!  I am happy to report that this raft of ducks had eleven birds and another group could be seen near the mouth of the Bayou!


No comments:

Post a Comment