Friday, January 17, 2014

A Matter of Minutes!

I have been talking a lot about the grayness of winter lately.  It seems that so far, we have had far more rainy or heavily overcast days than during the past few winters.  When I awoke this morning, I peeked out the window to see what type day was in store.  Gray, nothing but gray.  Granted this was about an hour before dawn so it was hard to decide whether this was gray because of the night sky or the  beginning of a gray day.  Still it was gray.  Within a matter of five minutes, though, that all changed!  My being lackadaisical almost made me miss a most gorgeous sunrise!  My second glance out that window was almost shocking!  Instead of drear, a fiery redness greeted me!  I hurriedly yanked on the jeans and flannel shirt.  Shoes!  I needed shoes!  Moccasins sans socks would have to work!  Ms. Ez and I raced down the hillside to the pier.  I so wanted to catch this show.  It had been several days since I actually was able to get to the pier what with rain and chores.  Today was to be different!


Here on the Bayou, January and February give us some of our most spectacular displays of color in the eastern sky each morning.  The cloud cover seemed to be perfect, the slight northerly breeze was tolerable and the solitude was perfect.  Ms. Ez and I stood spellbound by our version of the light show.  That old bayou dog has seen more than her share the sun rising over the pines!


"Red sky at morning, sailors take warning,
Red sky at night, sailors delight."

That old saying has been around for centuries.  Mariners have oft repeated it as they prepared for a voyage.  It is supposedly a prediction of the day's weather.  Well, that rule of thumb went out the window with this sunrise!  The gorgeous red sky in the morning sure did not foretell of vile weather during the day.  About ten o'clock in the morning, we were met with the bluest of blue skies!   That said, never judge a day by the color of the sunrise plus never judge your sunrise by the grayness of a predawn horizon!


No comments:

Post a Comment