Saturday, March 8, 2014

House Hunting!

  I was out early this morning just enjoying our bout of lovely weather.  The sun was shining brightly and there was not a cloud in the sky!  What a difference today was compared to recent days.  As I was meandering about the place, I noticed a dark bird fly into the top of the dead Black Gum tree.  This tree is full of holes carved by industrious woodpeckers.  The woodpeckers are in constant search of any critter that can be found gnawing its way through the rotted wood.  However, this was no woodpecker.  I eased a bit closer to see just what new friend was eyeing up one of the holes.  Some bird was obviously thinking of nesting near my doorway.  This tree is only about ten feet from the steps and gives me a perfect view of any new residents.  Last summer, the Red-headed Woodpecker nested in the top of the tree while a Carolina Wren occupied the lower quarters.  With the angle of the sun beaming on the treetop, I could not get a clear view of the bird.  All I could tell was that it was extremely dark.





  The camera was called into duty and as I was photographing the bird, a second one came to visit.  Ahh, the pair were definitely checking a hole as a possible nesting site.  I eased a bit closer.  Imagine my surprise when I found that my birds were European Starlings. I have not seen any of these around the Bayou before even though they inhabit the nation in great numbers. Not that I am particularly pleased but at least I am not disgusted with the possibility of these new tenants.  Starlings get a bad rap in the avian world.  Their habit of gathering in large flocks and making such a racket with their calls, leaves some folks to dislike the birds. Another distasteful fact is that Starlings are rather aggressive when dining.  They will chase most other songbirds from the feeders.




  One positive aspect of having Starlings around the area is their intense hunting abilities.  They will rid the area of a lot of bugs.  My garden should benefit from their presence.  All in all, they are not as bad as a lot of folks make them out to be. I am sure if they began to overpopulate, I might have a different attitude about their presence but for now, I am a bit intrigued.  At least they are quite pretty one you get a close enough to see them well.  Their plumage is not black, as I first thought, but rather iridescent and speckled.  My photographs this morning did not show the colors as well as I would have liked but this gives me a challenge.  If the birds hang around the Bayou long, I just have to get a picture of one in its full glory!  The purple, blue, green and coppery colors will gleam in the sun if I can just be in the right position.  Ok, Starling, you and I will just have to have a photo session real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment