Monday, March 24, 2014

The old is new

  It sometimes seems that I am the recipient of a lot of, for lack of a better word, trash.  I know that sounds a bit ungrateful but when folks start dumping things like torn curtains or empty bottles at your doorstep, it gets a bit overwhelming to say the least.  Yes, I do recycle a lot of things but I am not in dire need of junk!  I have plenty, thank you.

  A couple of years ago, a certain relative dumped some broken chunks of concrete in my front yard.  Alrighty then.  What was I to do with broken concrete other than hit it with my lawn mower?  I was a tad miffed.  This relative, at the same time, dropped off two doors that were "a bit rotted".  Again, I was miffed.  I held my tongue only because I was not in the mood for a wrangle.  The stuff sat.  Finally, I hauled the concrete to be used as fill but THOSE doors.  What was I going to do with those doors?  Well, after several years, my son has found a use for the doors!  He is building my greenhouse and what a fine greenhouse it will be!  He is using all recycled windows from my in-law's house.  These are the old wood style windows that I adore.  Being from their house makes them even more special to me.  The doors, however, presented a problem.  We had no suitable doors.  Michael pulled out the two (now very rotted) doors and inspected them.  Well, those would not work as is but with a bit of work, Michael saw a possibility.  He started ripping those doors apart. Each door had a large window which he wanted to salvage.  I left it up to him.  I had no idea how to make a door.



  After a bit of work, he called to me.  "Here is what your doors will look like, Mom." Wow!  The door was incredible!  I was impressed!  Keep in mind that this kid has never built a thing in his life and now, he is creating something mighty special for me!  He hung the door today just to show me how it was going to look.  Even without the siding or windows installed, my greenhouse looks amazing!  I am truly impressed with what he is doing.  I love my doors.  I love the fact that he is recycling. I love that my son is taking the time to do something so special just for me.  I am one truly blessed lady!


No comments:

Post a Comment