I am pushing spring. I know it. The seeds know it. And, yet, here I am planting anything and everything in the garden. With each seed I drop into the soil, I hear Mom warning me that there is going to be an "Easter freeze" that will kill all of my little seedlings. Still, I plant. Why? Why am I so gullible to believe that winter has left us behind and spring sneaked in to replace all of the greyness with pops of color? I cannot help it. When I walk outside and see peach blossoms, pear blossoms and plum blossoms, I get the sudden feeling that spring is definitely here...I hope.
Today, Mark and I headed to the back to check the peach trees and were excited to see the forward half of the orchard was in full bloom. The back half bloomed two weeks ago and now the rest of the trees are covered in pink! Our two little plum trees are doing their very best to keep up with the other fruit trees in the yard. They may be small but if the number of blooms means anything, we will be blessed with at least a few delicious fruits come midsummer.
All of this springlike happiness cannot come and go without me getting in on the act. My seed trays are planted with tomato, pepper and assorted herb seeds and the hardier squash have already been sown directly in the ground. Tomorrow, I shall attempt to build the raised garden beds which, hopefully, will thwart the voles at least for one season. I have grand plans of having a most prolific garden this year. Bring on spring! I am ready, Easter freeze or not!


No comments:
Post a Comment