It seems that not a day goes by without me learning something quite interesting. These days, my thirst for knowledge tends to lean towards herbs and their uses but I am game for any intriguing tidbit of information. I often will find a plant (in the garden or not) that proves to be one of many uses. I have found quite a few edible goodies that will definitely be on the table if times are ever rough enough that we have to scrounge for foodstuffs. Duck potatoes from the marsh, hickory nuts, day lily rhizomes and rose hips to name a few. Don't even get me started on the healing properties of herbs and plants. I could be here for hours! Then I find a plant that is both...healing and nutritious. This run-of-the-mill plant could possibly be one that folks everywhere might use. I am referring to the yucca. True, the saponins in the yucca root might cause problems if enough of them are ingested raw but cooked is a different story. Word is that you can precook them and then make french fries. Or if you are so inclined, you can mash them much like potatoes. Just remember to discard the tough center core and then cook the root well. I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat the thing raw, anyway, as it is bitter and tastes a lot like soap. Hmmm?
This same plant has a plethora of other uses as well! Granddad showed me how to "string" the leaves from the bottom up towards the needle-like point. The thread then can be used for sewing using that built in needle. Perhaps if one is ever in the need of repairing a pair of breeches while out hiking, the yucca needle and thread will do the trick! Granddad also made sure that I knew that the root is a good soap or shampoo! The root, once again, comes into play. It can be dried and powdered to be used as a shampoo or used directly as a soap. The stuff does suds quite a bit!
Now I find that Granddad did not teach me everything about the yucca plant! The root has so many medicinal uses that it almost begs to be in our medical cabinets! This wonder plant can fight high blood pressure, lessen the severity of migraines, help regulate blood sugars, help with circulation, cure skin conditions, and help with gall bladder disorders! Sounds like a miracle remedy to me! Why! Some folks even say it cures baldness when used as a shampoo! There are a few warnings of not to use during pregnancy or breast feeding but other than that, the only side effects seem to deal with the bitterness along with a slight stomach upset.
I have several wild yuccas growing down the hill from the house. For the past few years, I have left them grow as they wish in hopes that they will multiply. I love the creamy white blooms that tower over most other plants. They softly sway in the breezes that waft in off the Bay and give a sort of calm to the area. The slightly sweet, spicy fragrance of the blooms seems to attract honeybees which is another added benefit of having the plant nearby. Mark never cared for the spiky leaves. Whenever he would be working nearby, those leaves would poke him relentlessly! Since I am doing the grass-cutting now, it is not a problem! I love my yuccas! They are the new wonder plant of the Bayou!

No comments:
Post a Comment