Sometimes I worry about the logic of folks or maybe it is the lack of logic that frets me so. Although, I am not always the brightest crayon in the box, I do try to use a bit of commonsense and it seems that is something that is a rare commodity these days. Just plain old horse sense can usually get you through the day without too many slip-ups. I must say that I recently witnessed a great lack of sapience with some workers that were doing a job near the Bayou. Not that this caused any serious problems but it did give me some fine giggles for the day.
A crew of workmen were cutting the limbs from trees that were overhanging the power lines. Every few years, they will actually drive down our lane trimming the branches. This is all well and good since storms can swing those limbs around enough to down the lines. When the crew got to the point of the lane that branches off to the Little Bayou House, they blocked the lane enough that no vehicles could enter or leave. This was fine. I rarely leave the Bayou and few visitors come. When I first noticed the bright orange truck, I was fully aware that the lane was impassable. I did not need the orange warning cones to be placed between the house and truck. That seemed nigh on overkill! Well, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and just made the supposition that it was protocol. I would occasionally glance out the window at the progress of work. Imagine my surprise when I saw four more cones set out in the lane! Now we had a total of eight cones warning me that a truck was sitting not seventy-five feet from my door! There were four small bright orange cones and four green and yellow cones! Alrighty then! My giggles began right then and there.
Then came the icing on the cake! Those workmen decided that I needed more warning signals! Right behind my son's car, they placed a huge sign proclaiming "Work Area Ahead"! Now, go figure! I really could not imagine anyone not seeing that truck but to add the cones and sign was amazingly inane! My giggles took over and I did not get another chore done that whole morning! Since there was only about a dozen small branches that needed trimming, I figured that the work would be completed before noon. Oh, was I wrong! It took the crew well into late afternoon before they accomplished their goal. I must admit that they did a fine job of leaning against the bright orange truck!
I know that the service provided by these gentlemen is necessary but it does appear that their lack of commonsense overrides their productivity. (Although, it did provide for quite the amusing day for me!)


No comments:
Post a Comment