Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Saving of the Figs!

  Days before I finally found any ripe fruit, I could smell the distinct aroma of ripe figs.  It seemed strange that the unripe figs could smell this divine. Try as I might, I could never find even one small fig that was ripe enough to pick.  Something was amiss so I decided to rise early and check the tree before sunrise.  Sure enough, I when I first approached the tree, I caught the sweet scent of figs.  Lo and behold!  Figs!  I picked nigh on a bucketful in just a matter of minutes!  As I was picking, I could hear the chattering of woodpeckers behind me.  It was then that I realized why I could never find any ripe fruit.  Those rascals were raiding the tree before I was able to get outside.  I backed off and watched.  As soon as I was out of range, the woodpeckers flew to the tree.  My figs were being attacked!  I hurried back to finish picking the last tree.  I was bound and determined not to be outwitted by birds!



  I pondered a solution to the bird problem. Ms. Nycto, the wannabe Bayou Cat, was not doing her job.  She has not yet learned the fine hunting skills of Ms. Put, the Queen, who is out front ridding the place of voles.  Ms. Put has no time to waste catching birds!  Then there was the option of covering the trees. The netting that was draped about the plum trees was simply a waste of cash.  I was not going to make that mistake again!  Even though the entire tree had been covered, the birds found that they could press hard against the netting and peck at the fruit between the threads.  Then along came the coons and the net was shredded.  So much for critter-proofing the fruit trees. I have no easy solution so I just have to pick before the critters get out of bed!  It seems that this is the only way to gather fruit from a garden infested with all sorts of critters from small birds to large deer.


  The first bucketful of figs was promptly seized by Darling Daughter.  She cooked them down to almost a paste and made the best vegan fig bars that I believe I have ever eaten! These are healthy but very delicious! We have eaten some of the most delicious baked goods since she came to spend a few weeks with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment