Monday, October 5, 2015

A Bit of Bayou Elegance!

  The Annual Clue Hunt on the Bayou is something that I look forward to all year long.  It takes just about that long to plan, create props, decide on a menu and pull the entire thing together.  The thing starts with an idea, progresses into a storyline and then proceeds to become a reality. I scrounge around in flea markets, raid family members' sheds and use a good bit of creativity to make things perfect.  Each year, I worry and fret that I have overlooked something or that perhaps I have "bitten of more than I can chew" but with Mark's and Son's input and help, we manage to transform the place into what I imagine.  It is great!

  The menu usually is something that ties in with the hunt.  I serve a full "sit-down" meal and have the tablescape to fit the hunt.  Last year's theme was "Steampunk Poe" with apologies to Edgar Allan Poe for our twist on his stories.  The dining table was set in Victorian style with crystal and a black lace tablecloth with red underlay.  Of course, beads, candelabras, a skull and ravens had to make an appearance.  This was fun! The heavily ornate table settings were in stark contrast to what normally happens at the Little Bayou House.


  This year's theme is "Legends of the Bayou".  It is more fitting to the setting of the place and the house in general. I had first automatically pulled the black lace tablecloth and candelabras for the meal.  It just did not feel right.  Then, in the middle of the night, it struck me...duh! Bayou!  How simple!  I would go with "Bayou Elegance"!  Some crystal, some everyday.  I had to get up out of bed at 3 am because I was so excited!  Things were whirling around in the head so sleep was impossible.  A canvas dropcloth replaced the black lace tablecloth. This was topped with a piece of trawl netting that I had been saving for some unknown reason. (See!  My "hoarding" does come in handy!)  Everyday offwhite dishes were paired with crystal plates and ramekins.  I was so blessed to be the recipient of my sweet aunt's "shrimp" glasses and they were going to be perfect for this tablescape!  I have the same aunt's large silver plate tray so that became the base of my centerpiece. A tarnished silver candle holder/vase was set atop the platter then a smaller platter on top of that.  A lantern found its way on the tip top of this mountain!  The whole thing was draped with Spanish moss and dotted with seashells.  Yep...the "Bayou" had come to life on my table! Seafood would abound on the menu and for dessert my sweet aunt's crystal wine glasses would be filled with pumpkin trifle!  With the combination of everyday and fine crystal, the setting was perfect....a bit of "Bayou Elegance" at its best!  (Thank you, Michelle, for honoring me with your mother's gorgeous dishes!)
  



  This clue hunt has me thinking nonstop.  As matter of fact, even though we have just started this year's, my brain is already thinking of a year from now. I only hope that my guests have as much fun as I do! It will be a full month of teams coming to try their hand at solving the mystery and tasting a bit of Bayou cuisine!  Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment