Saturday, October 31, 2015

Rainy Day Blues

  You will not hear me singing the blues about rainy days.  I love the rain.  I love the sound as it pelts the roof of the Little Bayou House.  I love the way it makes things clean and fresh.  I love the smell of a storm coming across the Bay.  I love rain.  While I do, indeed, feel this way, I could have done without rain today...or rather this evening.  I had one last running of the Third Annual Clue Hunt on the Bayou scheduled for this evening. Yep, Halloween Night would have seen a group trotting about the Bayou with lanterns swinging in hand.  It did not happen as we have been "under the gun", so to speak, for the past several hours.  Rain pounded (not pelted) the rooftop.  Winds blew, rain came, floods filled the streets.  I loved it.  I was home in my snug little house and all was right with the world.


  Speaking of rain, some of the critters around here would probably voice a bit different opinion than mine.  I noticed a few of the birds that appeared a bit soggy after a recent rain.  The wrens, mockingbirds and cardinals all deal with rain in their own ways.  Some fluff their feathers and ride it out while others actually seek shelter.  The wrens seem to be the smarter of the group as they huddle inside the greenhouse until the storms pass.  Then there are the pelicans.  One would think that waterfowl would not have problems with a little rainstorm.  They are used to diving in the Bay so a few raindrops should not make a difference.  Sometimes I think the opposite.  The pelicans are just more adept at drying themselves than most birds.  Even if they are totally soaked, their method of wing raising seems to do the trick.  It does not take long before they are ready to take flight once again.  

  It seems to me that people could learn a lot from critters.  Today's lesson from the pelicans?  Hang your soggy clothes out to flap in the breeze!  It won't be long before you are set to face the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment