Saturday, November 14, 2015

Hand-me-down Skills

  The other day, my sweet daughter brought me a few jars of some pears that she canned.  Elizabeth and Robbie's new place came equipped with some of the finest fruit trees and among them were a good number of pear trees.  Each tree seemed determined to impress them with its ability to produce fruit so Elizabeth and Robbie were picking pears a good bit. She was determined to can the pears for later use and did an incredible job.  I am so proud!  This skill is one that has been passed down through the family for generations and I did my best to make sure each of my kids knew at least the basics.  I am proud to say that they do.  Even the boys (now men) can make jelly or can beans or anything else with the best of them!  Good job! While Elizabeth knew how to can, she has not had the opportunity to do much of it in the past.  First the fig trees and then the pear trees in her new yard kept her quite busy with the jars this year.  She prepared a delightful concoction called "Spiced Pears".  The taste is out of this world delicious!  The syrupy goodness around the pears has the perfect blend of sweetness and spiciness!  I am now hoarding the last two jars to be used as a special treat!


  What makes me so proud about her (and my boys) learning this skill is the fact that my mom had no clue how to do any home-canning.  Mom was a sweet "city" girl who just so happened to fall in love with a country boy....a farmer.  Well, you know where that went.  Just a few weeks after they were married, Pop brought home a lovely steam canner and presented Mom with several bushels of green beans.  "We need to can these for winter." he told her.  I can only imagine the look she shot at him!  She had no idea of how to use that canner!  In steps Pop's sister, Marie, to save the day.  That summer, my Aunt Marie not only did her own canning but taught Mom the finer points of the skill.  Later, my sister and I were taught following Aunt Marie's instructions.  At the time, it was unheard of for boys to do much in the way of kitchen work so my brothers do not have this knowledge.  I am sure glad that I do and I made sure that ALL of my children learned the skill.  You never know when you might need to know how to preserve foodstuffs.

  I am proud of Elizabeth and her canning.  Not only that she has the "know-how" but that she and her husband did not let the fruit go to waste.  They are well on their way to being at least a little bit of farmers! She has no choice...it is a hand-me-down skill that is "in the blood"! Makes this mom proud!



No comments:

Post a Comment