Sunday, November 15, 2015

Winter is Coming

  Winter must be on its way..at least up north.  The birds have been migrating our way for some weeks now.  This evening, I headed to the pier to check the skiff since we are due for some pretty stiff storms this week.  While there, I noticed that fish were breaking near the shore and longed for my fishing pole.  Just a few weeks ago, I had hauled the gear to the Little Bayou House and have yet to restore it to its proper place on the pier.  There, it is ready at a moment's notice but, for tonight, it sat far up the hill.  The sky started darkening and clouds were gathering.  


  Even though it was starting to get a bit dark to see, I caught a glimpse of some ducks far out from the pier.  A cluster of six mingled not too far from each other.  Four of the group had a distinct shape so, even though distance and lack of light prevented me a clear view, I recognized the ducks.  These were Hooded Mergansers!  The Hoodies are back!  Their wide crest and pointy tails were sure identifiers!  


  I love the little Hooded Mergansers.  They are usually some of the first ducks to fly into the Bay. After a few weeks, there will be hundreds of them in the Bay and many of them huddling beneath the pier to escape the stiff north winds.  During their stay, they will become accustomed to my presence and remain under the pier even when I wander down at sunrise.  Before dawn, I can hear their funny, little calls and soft splashes of water as they preen.  The Hoodies never cease to make me smile with their presence.  I am so glad they are back.  This is one of the reasons that I like winter so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment