Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Fish Eagle

  This afternoon when Mark and I were returning from the pier, I noticed a large bird in the top of a dead pine tree.  The tree sits across the Bayou and had been struck by lightening a couple of years ago.  It still stands well above the surrounding trees and allows any bird a grand perch for viewing the marshes.  From the distance, I could not fully identify the bird other than knowing that it was large, dark and had what appeared to be a white head.  Could this be the eagle that I see occasionally in the area?  It is a known fact that we have a pair nesting each year somewhere in the vicinity.  I could not be sure.  The "white head" appearance may have been just a play of light on the white feathers of an osprey;  I needed to get closer!

  Mark patiently hiked around the marsh edge and down to a place that I could get a better view.  He knows that I am adamant about photographing most everything that lives (or visits) around the Bayou. This bird was no different.  Once we settled on a suitable area for a clear shot, I took numerous photographs still not being able to identify my bird.  I knew that once the pictures were added to my computer, I would be positive of the bird's true self!  



  If I had only waited a bit longer, I could have saved us a bit of tromping through underbrush, though.  We were only in the house a few moments when I heard the distinct call of the osprey. While I am a bit disappointed that I did not get the "perfect" shot of our neighborhood eagle, I am pleased that the photographs show a gorgeous osprey.  The bird is comparably regal, though perhaps not as elusive.  Besides...it is an "eagle" of sorts....it also goes by the name Fish Eagle




No comments:

Post a Comment