Friday, December 18, 2015

Sweetness on the Water

  I have always said that humans can learn a lot from critters if we would only open our eyes.  We have always claimed that we, as a species, are "civilized"...sometimes I wonder.  Back in the day, when my siblings and I would squabble, we were reprimanded with "Stop acting like animals!" which was effective at the time but would cause me to ponder a bit nowadays.  In the wild, I find that it is a rare thing to find critters behaving badly just for the sake of it.  Sure, they instinctively munch down on the weaker if they are carnivores but they do not do things just for the sake of being mean.


  I was witness to a bit of sweetness on the water the other day.  Two Mottled Ducks were paddling around in the tide pool next to the pier when the tiny, immature rail wandered in to feed upon the bull minnows. The pool had very little water in it, as is normal for the winter months, but that did not pose a problem for the three birds.  They were just as happy to share the puddle as to be there themselves.  In fact, the two ducks seemed intent on "helping" the rail find a meal.  They stirred up enough mud with their webbed feet to shoo the minnows to the far end of the pool.  There, the little rail was able to corner the minnows with ease.  Not once did the birds squabble with each other.  Not once did they fuss over whose dinner was being eaten.  Not once was there conflict, jealousy or bitterness of any kind. The ducks and rail shared and shared alike. They exhibited good manners and that is something a good many folks lack.  They proved that you can be amicable with others regardless of the situation.  I like that.


  Sometimes in this crazy, topsy-turvy world, it is good to sit back and realize that with a little bit of effort we could all get along just fine.  Too bad I cannot get more folks to watch the critters.  Too bad I cannot get these ducks to teach lessons!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment