Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Rocking Chair

  There is a little lady that I have called "Aunt" ever since I was a wee tot. She is actually my mother's cousin so I suppose that makes her more of a cousin than an aunt but it always seemed disrespectful to call her by her first name.  Now that she is pushing the young age of ninety, it even seems more disrespectful so "Aunt" it is.  Auntie had asked a few weeks ago if Mark would be opening any oysters soon and if he was, could she buy some from him.  Well, that would never do since Mark is not about to charge her for anything!  Today, I called her to tell her that we would be bringing her a quart of oysters.  She told me that she was not feeling well and could not fry the oysters so I volunteered to prepare a meal for her.  An idea popped into my head!  Mark and I would go eat lunch with her!  Within a half hour, a meal of fried oysters, scalloped potatoes, spinach salad with sauteed shrimp and raspberry vinaigrette dressing and a quick dessert of fried apples was tossed together and hauled to her house.  We brought Christmas plates and napkins so no dishes were needed.  What fun!

  This was the most enjoyable time I have had in a long while.  She beamed the whole time we were there, plus, she passed along a lot of family history.  Some of this history might be a bit skewed since her memory is failing a bit but whose isn't?  Once we finished our meal, she asked for me to look at some paintings on her walls.  These were not by some famous artists nor were they highly valuable...instead the paintings were priceless.  Most of the ones she showed me had been painted by her mother decades ago.  I listened to her stories and did a lot of oohing and ahhing over the pictures.  I really liked them!  She then gave me tags and asked me to put my name on the back of the ones I liked so they would go to me later.  This was hard for me to do since I always feel greedy!  Afterwards, she took to a back room and showed me a rocking chair.  "This was my grandmother's chair.  Later it was my Aunt Ruthie's chair." she said.  "Sit down and see if it fits."  Well, I had never been "fitted" for a chair before but I have to admit the chair was very comfortable!  "Yes!  It fits nicely!" she said.



  Later when we leaving, Auntie told Mark to put the chair in the truck. Wow!  I was just given my great-grandmother's rocking chair!  What a gift!  What an honor! This is something that I will cherish and will pass on to one of my kids somewhere down the line.  

   Had things been different and not turned to where Auntie was giving me treasures, I would still say that this was a perfect way to spend the day.  She and I had a grand time just being together.  Note to self....do this more often.  The verbal family history lesson of today was amazing. Receiving a family heirloom was priceless.  The time spent with an elderly lady was fulfilling,  The look of happiness in her eyes was a blessing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment