Friday, January 1, 2016

A Nice Cool Spell

  Finally, we have a taste of winter.  Not winter as compared to our neighbors to the north but at least winter on the Bayou.  I was cold all day...I loved it. With both woodstoves chugging along, the wood bins needed to be refilled often.  On one trek out to the woodpile, I noticed that it was actually sleeting.  The cold pellets of ice stung when they hit my face and made the fire wood almost too cold to handle.  I made quick work of the chore and got myself back inside!  This evening, I did make a quick hike down to the pier to check the boat but, other than that, the day was spent inside. 



  While I was on the pier, I noticed that the north wind had blown the water far out from the marsh edge.  Once again, I was hesitant to stay out in this wet, cold weather so I was quick about my business.  I did find one other friend out and about.  The north wind was actually helping one of the Bayou critters.  A small raccoon was digging for clams, tiny crabs and minnows that might be in the mud between the marsh and water's edge.  The low tide had actually given the little coon larger hunting grounds.  In the few minutes that I watched, the critter actually managed to find several tidbits to crunch.  I am thinking that these were small crabs since I could actually hear his crunching!  The fact that the young coon was finding a meal on this dreary day made me happy.  At least this little guy would have a full belly this evening!

  Tonight, I have my leg/foot warmer working full time. The cat,  Ms. Nycto, has chosen my ankles as her bed for the evening and the warmth she provides with her long fur sure feels good!  Just another reason I am glad I rescued her.  



No comments:

Post a Comment