Sunday, October 15, 2017

Now That Is Some Fishing!

  Fishing has been relatively good as of late which makes me happy.  If we catch fish, we eat fish and my grocery bill is cut exponentially!  Seafood is one of those things that I can eat just about every day of the week and still not grow tired of it.  I guess that is a good thing since I live on a bayou!  It would be terrible if it was the other way around.  But...fishing and eating is good!

  Still, not everything we pull from the water is edible or, more to the point, tasty.  Son tells me that most everything is technically edible but some things are just not tasty.  Alrighty, then....I guess he makes a valid point.  This week already, Mark and I caught several things that I deemed inedible. One large eel, dozens of gafftopsails, about half of the hard-head catfish ever in existence, a soccer ball and a board.  Yep...to all of the above.  None are edible in my view.



  The fish, however, can be explained as something that one might readily find in the Bayou but the soccer ball and board are different stories.  The board is a huge thing that floated up during Hurricane Nate and became lodged in the marsh near the pier.  Always on the lookout for a good piece of lumber, we decided to "catch" the plank and bring it ashore.  If no one claimed it, we could surely use it in some project on the pier.  After a dozen or more casts, he finally snagged the board and eased it out of the marsh.  It did not take long before the huge plank was sitting on the pier.  This will make a fine replacement board for one of the pier "stringers" that are damaged due to the storm surge. If bought, the plank would probably cost nigh on $70.   I would say that his catch was a success!



  My catch was not so worthy of note.  The soccer ball was something else that Hurricane Nate deposited at the pier.  Obviously, by the number of barnacles encrusting the ball, it has been in the water for some time.  Perhaps this has been sitting in the marsh since Hurricane Katrina and washed out by the flooding of the more recent storm.  The ball IS NOT usable by any means but still is a rather unusual catch.  Since the ball was half filled with water and mud, when I pulled it out of the Bay, I thought I may have snared a turtle!  There is nothing like the dead weight of a mud filled soccer ball to give you a nice pull!  This catch was not a success unless you consider that I am "cleaning" the Bayou!

  Neither of our catches will put supper on the table but the redfish and trout we caught will be mighty edible AND tasty!  Its all good, though, as it does shake things up a bit for us!  Plus, just between you, me and the pier post, any day spent fishing is a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment