Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Dance of the Crystals

  Hanging in the south-facing windows of the living room are dozens upon dozens of crystals.  These dangle on fine strands of fishing twine and sparkle with the bright sunshine.  The crystals are my newest additions to the crystal collection.  Previously, I had only about ten in a neat frame that Son made for me one year.  Those still are my favorites but now the windows are filled with the happy pieces.  This morning when the sun finally broke through the clouds, the crystals all sparkled at their best and sent rainbows dancing about the room.  The sight made me think of my little granddaughter.  Mary Ruth loves to make the crystals "dance".  She very carefully touches the each one until they gently swirl casting rays of color as they spin.  It is magical to her and her glee is magical to me.  Oh, how I miss that sweet girl and wish she could be back on the Bayou.  A year is far too long to go without seeing the grandlittles.



  As I age, I find beauty in the oddest things.  While the rainbows cast by the crystals are beautiful, the prisms, themselves, are works of art.  Each cut...each facet is precise.  It is that precision that causes the sunlight to be shattered into the brilliant colors.  Without those, the glass would not sparkle nearly so much. 

  While looking at the crystals this morning, I could not help but make them dance a bit.  Rainbows happily decorated the walls and ceiling.  They bounced off of furniture and the old dog.  They even made the floor look special.  In the midst of it all, I felt a bit like Pollyanna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment