Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Just Amblin'

  Yesterday, Mr. PJ (the old dog) and I meandered in the azaleas.  He loved nosing around in a "new" territory.  He is not often allowed to wander down the lane as I do not wish to have him near the main road.  His instincts and reaction times would not serve him well in the path of an oncoming automobile.  So we normally stay far from the lane.  However, I figured that as long as I was with him (which, lately, is always), it would not hurt to give him a new place to explore.  He and I, both, loved being in our little hidden world.  For a while we were completely surrounded by the ten foot tall azaleas.  I think the escapade did him good as he slept soundly during the night following our short, amble.

  This afternoon, the wind was blowing something fierce.  Mr. PJ decided that he wished to stay on the southeast side of the house since it is obvious that he loves wind.  Our walk (which is no longer a vigorous hike due to his health) took us through the east arbor which has a rambling Cherokee Rose sprawling across the top.  This rose was planted here by Son a few years back and I love the thing.  He and I were on a hike far back in the creek bed when I spied a few of the rose vines.  I made mention that I had always wanted one for the yard even though they are considered to be an invasive species.  (Perhaps this is true as the woods are filled with the rambling roses.)   It was only a few hours later that Son called me out to see my new rose!  I am still thrilled with this beauty and, today, it proved to be a bright spot in the midst of a storm.  The top of the arbor is filled with the heavily scented white blooms.  


  The Cherokee Rose is one of the first roses to bloom in the rose garden each spring, although its history is a bit sketchy.  It was brought to the United States in 1780 and soon became naturalized.  It acclimated to the Deep South so well that it soon became invasive and now fills the wooded areas with its brambles.  Early spring, however, those thorny brambles put for a glorious show of white blooms.  From a distance, a lot of folks tend to believe that these roses are dogwood blooms but they are far from the same.  The dogwood is actually on a decline on the Coast and in recent years, there are few to be found.  Not so with the Cherokee Rose.  It is everywhere...and it is also in my yard!  I love it!

  While Mr. PJ sat with his nose to the wind, I pushed my nose in the center of several of the roses!  Our short walks are beginning to be a tad more interesting than those during the gray days of winter.  There is a lot more to see now and the old dog does not have to amble far for me to find something mesmerizing.  There is a lot of magic on this old Bayou of mine!  Hopefully, this wind will not tear up all of the azalea and rose blooms and there were still be plenty to enjoy for a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment