Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Making Herself At Home

  Ever since Son built my greenhouse, a small wren has been making her nest there.  She has chosen one spot or another to build her compact, neat nest and then lay her eggs.  Most years, she lays five eggs.  She sets on the nest come night and day until her brood is hatched then she and Daddy Wren work themselves to a frazzle to feed the hungry rascals.  After all this time, the little wren has come quite used to my presence in the greenhouse and has no qualms to having me work near her while she is on the nest.  This year, she built her nest about six inches from the door.  I am in and out of the greenhouse probably a dozen times each day but it does not seem to phase her in the least.



  This morning, as the sun warmed the greenhouse, Mama Wren slipped out to get a bite to eat and some water.  I took advantage of her absence to check the nest.  Sure enough, her usual five eggs were there!   In a couple of weeks, the eggs will hatch and my greenhouse will be a nursery for the little ones.  They will be fed there, grow there and even take their first flight lessons there.  The first part of their lives will take place in the relative safety that the greenhouse provides.  While I could be seen as a threat, Mama Wren knows that within those walls, she has nothing to fear...not even me.

  Even after the little ones are on their own, for the rest of this year, they will return to the greenhouse often to seek refuge.  During storms, the hanging baskets and crossbeams will see the wee birds taking advantage of the building.  It makes me happy to know that they trust me enough to continue using the greenhouse as their safe house.  Hopefully, the birds will continue to do so for years to come.  They are always welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment