Thursday, May 9, 2019

The Air Show

  Last week, the air base across the Bay sponsored an amazing air show.   The Bayou is the perfect spot to watch these shows as the planes fly over the Bay giving us a clear view.  But..to be honest here, I did not watch the show.  I am so accustomed to seeing the planes over the Bay that one more day is not thrilling.  It is just noisy.  Very noisy.  Any other day, the planes do not kick in their "noise-makers" that stir the excitement like on the show days.  I gardened instead.  




  Today, however, I must admit that my favorite planes caught my attention.  These were not performing in some fancy air show but were practicing their maneuvers.  The planes are the renowned Hurricane Hunters.  In my opinion, these are some of the true heroes of the aviation world.  The pilots and planes do not seek attention but they do demand respect because of the tasks they perform.  It takes nerves of steel to fly a plane into the middle of a Category 5 hurricane to collect data.  The members of 53rd Air Reconnaissance Squadron are local heroes.  Those of us that live where hurricanes frequently make landfall depend upon the skills of these men and women to keep us abreast of the location, strength and movement of all tropical disturbances.  

  So, I watched the planes take off, fly overhead then land again all the while thinking of how much I appreciate the work performed by the Hurricane Hunters.  Yep, watching the practice maneuvers is my kind of air show!


No comments:

Post a Comment