Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Being Cautious Is A Good Thing

   Bat, the Bayou Prince Cat, is normally a pretty brave (if not heroic) cat.  He has no qualms about attacking anything that he thinks is a threat to me.  I have had dogs be protective but never a cat.  Bat is. More than once, he has come to my rescue.  Snakes seem to be his number one target.  As I age, my eyesight is far from what it used to be so tromping around the Bayou is a bit iffy.  I feel safe, however, as Bat never leaves my side and can sniff out a snake in a heartbeat.  

  Lately, things have been a bit different.  He still is always at my side but his demeanor has changed. Where he was always audacious, he is now cautious.  Highly cautious...almost always on edge as if there is a great threat lurking just around the next bend.  It was curious but, last night, an answer to his wariness was found.

  Son has been setting out a game camera recently.  Mark bought this just to see what was prowling around the property while we sleep.  Most nights, the camera picked up the usual raccoons and possums but last night was different.  A large coyote was traipsing just where Bat and I usually go on our predawn hikes about the hillside.  While the photograph is blurry due to the movement of the animal, there is no denying its identity.  Also, it is obvious that this is a predator much larger than Mr. Bat.  The cat honestly needs to be on high alert while out and about...and...I suppose I should be, as well.  I feel sure that Mr. Bat would come to my rescue as usual but, at the same time, there is no need to put him in danger.  Coyotes are not to be messed with and usually where there is one...there are more.  Mr. Bat and I shall have to be alert as we hike.  

No comments:

Post a Comment