Saturday, June 8, 2024

Another Near Miss

   I have to admit that early this morning, Mark came in like a knight in shining armor to slay the dragon that was a bit to near.  As much as I hate to kill snakes, if a cottonmouth is too close to the Little Bayou House, it has got to go.  My eyesight is not the best by natural aging so any venomous snake in the Small Gardens is a threat.  This morning, I was pulling grasshoppers off of the petunia plants near the little Frog Pond when I had "that feeling".  Looking down near my feet under the petunias was someone that was definitely not the nicest of friends.  Within seconds, the cottonmouth slid down into the water of the pond and turned to literally glare at me.  I guess I disturbed its morning hunt for frogs.   Thankfully, Mark was nearby and came to my rescue!  He trotted off to get the "snake-grabby-things" from the greenhouse while I kept a watchful eye on the snake that was now a mere three feet from where I was standing.  Moments later, my "Knight in Shining Armor" had the serpent clamped in the jaws of his weapon and I was safe!

  Actually, I am more concerned for others that come to the Bayou.  Visitors may not act as calmly as I do which causes a snake to strike.  A snake rarely wastes its venom on someone or something that it does not deem as a threat.  Had I flailed about while screaming, chances are the snake would have reacted to my (unnecessary) actions.  Also, with venomous snakes, I worry about the grandkids.  Kids, being kids, may not notice as snake that is so well camouflaged.

  The snake was disposed and all is well.  I just wish they would learn to stay down in the marsh where they belong.  Then, we could both live in peace.  All non-venomous snakes are quite welcome to live in the Small Gardens.  I have no qualms about sharing that space with them!  Still, I am thankful that Mark was there to come to my rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment