Saturday, August 17, 2024

The Egg

 I never would have thought  a boiled egg (or any egg for that matter) could have such a profound effect on me but one has given me a great insight on just how nice folks are.  (Note here...I said folks and not people.  Folks are those who are family even if they are not related to you.  People...well...people can be related and still not be family.  Just my point of view.)  Anyway, back to that boiled egg and the niceties of life.  Mark and I have always made it a point to share whatever we have.  This was something taught to us by our parents and grandparents and we have carried it along the best that we can.  There have been times when our pantry was quite bare but, somehow, sharing was still top priority.  Mostly we shared with the elderly or those that were down on their luck.  Now that we are among the "elderly" we figure that our duties shall not go the wayside.  We still find those in need and share our "wealth".  It is the neighborly thing to do.  I figure that you cannot gripe about the sorry state of humanity if you are not willing to do your share to better it.



  That egg, however came about because of that sharing.  One sweet lady always finds a way to return the bounty.  Whenever we bring something to her, she sends something home to us.  Since she has chickens, we usually get fresh yard eggs!  There is nothing better!  Today as I was whipping up some pumpkin/pecan bars for Son, I brought out the eggs.  All was going well until the third egg.  It felt a mite odd to the touch and even odder to crack.  Yep, that egg was boiled!  Our sweet friend had inadvertently included a boiled egg with the fresh!  I had to sit down and giggle over that boiled egg!  Oh, sweet lady, I adore you!  When giving the eggs, she was surely not going to give a partial carton!  That, my friends, is what makes folks...well...folks.  They are just plumb nice.

  After finding the boiled egg among the fresh, I have decided that I want to be a "Ms. Teresa" when (if) I reach the age of 90.  I want to be kindhearted, generous and a bit quirky.  I want to give folks happy surprises along with every day gifts.  I want to brighten others days and give them reasons to giggle.  I want to be a "Ms. Teresa". 

No comments:

Post a Comment