Saturday, November 6, 2010

Rails and gourds

I was so afraid that some critter roaming the marsh made supper of my little King Rail. (And if it is a female why is she not a "Queen Rail"?) Last night, I heard her just a fussing at some intruder and then all went quiet..too quiet. My heart sank as I imagined some diabolical foe stalking this sweet little hen. Locally we call these "Marsh Hens"..which makes a lot of sense as they remind me of little chickens and they..well..live in the marsh. This morning, I fully expected to find feathers on the mud flats around the pier. A fox? A 'possum? A bobcat? Any of these could have easily had a hankering for a "chicken" dinner and pounced upon my little rail. But..no feathers could be found. Thank goodness! As we wandered back up the pier, my husband motioned for me to look at the marsh edge. There peeping out was my little hen! She had survived the night terrors and came to greet us. I was elated to see her..it is funny how attached I become to critters in my Bayou!


This morning was filled with the usual drudgery of housework and laundry but come the afternoon, I was able to steal a little time to work on gourds. The brain was clicking! Another lamp would soon emerge from its gourd beginnings. This one is a bit more elaborate than the first one..I am getting braver! I worked a design on one side and then tried to duplicate it on two more sides giving it a three sided effect. Try as I might, I could not get it to come out even. There was always something a little off..erase..and start over. Still crooked..erase..start over. Finally, I made a big discovery! Gourds are not symmetrical! I knew that..what was I thinking! Or what was I not thinking! I drew the pattern on the three sides and said "phooey" on

symmetry! I consoled myself with "that is what is the appeal of something handmade!" Well..this is definitely "handmade" and it shows! I cut the design in and burned some holes here and there and ta-dah!..a lampshade is born! Several good coats of paint and it was time to try the light. This is the part that I always like the best! I love to see what design the light will cast on the wall behind the lamp and this one actually was delightful. The swirls and dots were almost mesmerizing! Oooh this one makes me happy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the colors from that gourd are amazing! It is a beautiful lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one did turn out rather well! I still need to find a supplier for the light bases as I cannot find them locally.

    ReplyDelete