Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Roof Over Their Heads

Sometimes when you spend a good deal of time watching the critters, you come across things that are a mite comical.  These instances cause you to ponder just what goes through the minds of animals.  Most of the time, their actions are purely instinctual and they will do what provides comfort.  In other words, animals just do what feels good!...Most of the time.  Then there are the times that their actions cause you to scratch your head and ask..."Why?"



A few days ago, I awoke early and prepared for my morning trek to the pier.  It was cold..nigh on freezing so I had to bundle up with warm clothing.  Ms. Ez, on the other hand, decided that her fur coat was just not going to get the job done so she stayed in her cozy bed.  I edged my way down the board path.  As I neared the pier, I could see that the tide was extremely low.  The north wind had done its job well!  I could also see that there were numerous blobs under the pier.  Hmmm?  Blobs?  Once I was up on the pier, I could tell that these were ducks.  A whole slew of the little Hooded Mergansers were clustered under the pier.  I thought that perhaps they were trying to escape the cold wind.  That would make sense!  Stepping closer and close, I tried not to scare the little birds.  They had flown far to get to my Bayou.  I was sure not going to make them feel unwelcome.  Soon, I was right on top of them.  I could peer through the planking and see the little ducks paddling around beneath me.  I could hear their "croaking" calls as they talked with one another.  Still not wanting to startle them, I eased down to a sitting position.  I was now sitting on the planking just above them.  (My bench was taken by Hurricane Isaac back a few months ago.)  I watched them between the boards.   They made no effort to skitter away at all!  After a bit, I was chilled and headed back to the house and a mug of hot coffee!  The ducks stayed!



About noontime, I looked out the door and noticed that the Hoodies were still huddled under the pier.  Ok...so I understood them being there during the night and early morning hours but the temperature had warmed nicely.  The sun was sparkling on the water and the day was nice.  Why were the ducks still huddled under the pier?  Surely by this time, it had to be colder in the shade of the boards than out on the sunny water.  I shook my head...goofy, little Hoodies!  Get yourself out there and enjoy that sunshine!  All day, the Mergansers stayed huddled under the pier.  Why?  I have no clue.  Perhaps they felt protected as they rested from their long journey.  Several times in the past few days, I noticed that they were back.  My pier seems to have become their "home away from home"...their shelter from the cold...their winter retreat.  I am good with that!  Welcome home, Hoodies...welcome home.


No comments:

Post a Comment