Thursday, September 19, 2013

Just a tad late...

We finally received a bit of rain!  I awoke this morning to the sounds of drips coming from the eaves of the house.  This made me smile as for the past two days, we have had showers which have done a good job soaking the ground.  Both the plants and the critters must be deliriously happy just about now.  Once there was a small break in the clouds, I headed outside for a short hike.  This was nothing like the usual hour-long treks that I usually take as I had chores to do today.  Still, a bit of fresh air always clears the mind and helps one to face the day undaunted.  Down by the marsh edge, I found a lonely bit of beauty.  One Montbretia decided to take root and bloom there.  Whether it was inadvertently planted by a critter or dropped by me while toting some garden refuse to the trash heap, remains to be known.  However it came to be planted here, it was truly a beauty.  My only thought was.."Man, you are late blooming!"


Granddad always called these things "Firecracker Lilies".  Sure they are "red hot" and sort of resemble a firecracker if you squint your eyes just so but he called them this merely because of their tendency to bloom near the Fourth of July.  Hence, I have called them "Firecracker Lilies" for years now and expect them to bloom when fireworks are due..not in September!  Its ability to take root wherever it is dropped has brought some ill will toward the plant.  In some places it is labeled as an invasive species and a noxious weed because of its habit of spreading at a rapid rate.  Montbretia can and will smother out most of the natural occurring flora of an area and it matters not what type of soil is available!  It just grows.  The plant makes a long rhizome that has multiple corms.  These corms are each able to create a new plant.  Pulling the plant out of the ground will just break off the corms and not eliminate the entire plant.  Actually, trying to pull one from the ground makes the corms all break off and a billion more grow in the original plant's place.  It is almost impossible to rid the garden of Montbretia and now, I have them growing near the marsh!  Oh, my!


With all the negative facts said, I do like the blooms of the plant.  They draw tons of butterflies, bees and hummingbirds.  I figure with that following, these plants cannot be all that bad.  Plus, they add a bit of brightness to the garden when all else is falling to drought.  Still, I will try to remember where this plant is and bring the shovel with me on my next hike.  The rhizome and corms will be relocated to the garden where hopefully, it will stay!  Firecracker Lilies do not need to be taking over my marsh!

No comments:

Post a Comment