Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Bayou Friends are the Best!

  Timing has to be one of the greatest pluses with photography especially wildlife photography.  If I intentionally go out seeking some critter to photograph, things do not go well but let me wander about the Bayou and it is as if things present themselves.  Take today, for instance.  I wandered down to the pier just before dark.  Ms. Ez, the old Bayou Dog, had been cooped up inside all day and needed to get a bit of exercise.  After galloping about the hillside for a few laps, she was ready to follow me wherever I went.  That usually means the pier.  As soon as I stepped past the marsh grass, I knew this was going to be a successful mission. 

  A tiny Pied-billed Grebe scooted out from beneath the pier. The bird fluttered across the water and then dove as grebes are prone to do. They would rather dive than fly to escape a threat.  I hated to think that I startled the poor bird so I sort of "sweet-talked" to it while trying to calm it.  It worked!  I was surprised to see the little squirt turn and start paddling back towards me!  Oh, my.  I continued my soft-talk technique as the bird came closer and closer.  It was soon not two yards from me and the old dog.  Ms. Ez sat silently.  She knew that this bird was a friend and she also knew from experience that she should sit quietly while I photograph wildlife.  (Such a smart dog...at times.)  Anyway the little grebe stayed near me for nigh on a half hour.  I talked while it listened.  With darkness falling, I knew I had to call this meeting to an end.  I was barefoot and the trek back to the Little Bayou House could be treacherous.  Any number of snakes might be on that path!  I sadly bid my sweet new friend "Goodnight" and headed back up the hill.




  A lot of folks lump Pied-billed (and all grebes) in the category with ducks.  This is not accurate as they are not ducks at all. They belong to the order Podicipediformes which, by the way, only contains grebes. One interesting fact is that even though grebes are waterfowl, they do not have webbed feet.  They can swim really well because each toe is flared at the end sort of like a little paddle.  

  I enjoyed visiting the little Pied-bill and will check to see if it is back tomorrow.  My Bayou friends seem to be my best friends.  



No comments:

Post a Comment