Monday, September 14, 2015

If Only There Was A Switch

  I have this quirky aunt who does some of the strangest things.  Now that she is nearing the age of ninety, those things are occurring more often than ever.  The only difference is that what used to be strange but funny things now have at times changed to strange but sometimes hurtful things.  I realize that this is due to a bit of dementia setting in with age so, instead of getting upset, I try my best to overlook any such incidences.  She is under several doctors' care which is all we can ask at this point in time.  

  Today hunting for a flashlight, I found a small plastic lantern.  This is a battery-operated "toy" type thing and not one that is of much use.  I giggled when I pulled it from the cabinet.  Most folks would have tossed it long ago but it reminds me of so many things.  Back before Hurricane Katrina, my oldest son went overseas with the military.  This tiny, toy lantern was a gift to him from this aunt.  Aunty thought this would be a grand thing for him to pack in his bag of gear.  "This will give you a bit of light when you don't have any in your tent." she told him.  Being the good man he is, my son thanked her profusely and set the lantern aside.  We had a good laugh over the incident after she left the Little Bayou House.  Could you imagine the guffaws from the other soldiers on seeing the toy lantern being unpacked?  Needless to say, the lantern stayed here.


  During and after Hurricane Katrina, I admit that the toy lantern did come in handy.  Without power for weeks and weeks, the lantern burned brightly.  Its tiny bit of golden glow somehow made things seem better.  Once the crews repaired the power lines, the lantern was stashed in the closet and forgotten....until today.

  I put batteries in the slots and was amazed to find that the toy still worked.  Its little bulb beamed brightly.  I thought about that lantern and it still functioning.  How I wish that Aunty was still doing as well as it.  It is sad to watch a loved one go downhill to the point that everyday life becomes a chore.  Dementia patients can experience many emotions in a matter of minutes.  They can be scared, sad, angry and paranoid with no apparent explanation other than they lack control of their lives. Aunty realizes that things are not the same anymore and that in itself is a challenge. I do so wish I had a switch to turn to make her light up again...just like the little toy lantern.  Burn bright, Little Lantern, burn bright for Aunty.



No comments:

Post a Comment