Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Watching the Lichens Grow!

  As rain threatened to fall from the sky at any given moment, I heard something rumbling around on the grill just outside the window. Hmmm, well, this needed inspecting.  I pondered if a squirrel had made a nest in the thing since it has been a long time since we have used it.  I peeked out the window to find, not a squirrel, but a possum.  The poor thing was searching for supper.  I figured that I might as well give it a quick meal since the rain and cold would not set well on an empty stomach.  Yep, I am that much a sucker for a hungry animal.  I scurried out the back door with some leftover sweet potatoes and pasta.  It would have to do since I had nothing else to offer.  The possum seemed grateful and started happily munching its supper.  While outside, I figured I might as well grab an armload of firewood from the woodpile.  A fire might feel right nice with the damp air filling the Little Bayou House.  My first piece of wood caused me to delay a bit as some lichen caught my eye.  A gooey Tree Ear fungus and a flat shield-type lichen begged to be photographed.  Well, I might as well go get the camera.  Possums and lichens both needed to have their pictures taken!

  By the time I returned, Mr. Possum had eaten his fill and waddled off down the hill to the marsh.  I missed my chance with him but at least the lichen was still hanging around waiting for me!  I took several photographs before the rain started and I had to scoot inside...but not without my firewood!  Later sitting in the warmth given off by the old woodstove, I looked at my photographs.  Lichens interest me to no end.   There is seemingly a never-ending batch of the things growing this winter with the lack of ice and the copious amount of rain.  The Tree Ear fungus was swollen to capacity with the moisture causing it to wiggle and jiggle like gelatin!  This time, however, it was the ruffly shield lichen that I found more intriguing.  It was the palest of greens on top and almost white on bottom.  There were black, hairlike protrusions wisping off the end of each "leaf".  Now if that was not a most unusual looking bit of life!  I have always said these things look a lot like alien life gone awry!


  Scientist have found that since lichens are slow growing and have a long life span, they can be used as geochronologic dating tools. (Geochronology being the dating of rocks and geologic events.) The method is called Lichenometry.  This is a big word meaning "Watching lichens grow"..not really, I made that up but it pretty much sums up the activity.  Being as lichens are some of the first things to grow on newly exposed rock, the rate at which the rock is covered can indicate a lot about climate change.  Evidently, lichens are pretty smart...or at least the scientists are.   Still, it is rather incredible that something most folks never really notice is highly important in the whole scheme of things.

  Lichens are rather misunderstood.  Most folks tend to think that because some grow on trees, they are parasitic.  They are not.  If a lichen is spied in the tree, it is on dead or dying wood.  In fact, you better worry more about a limb falling on your head than about a tiny lichen living happily on your tree!  To be honest, lichens are quite helpful.  They are indicative of clean air.  Look up in your trees.  If you see no lichens....hold your breath!  Not really but do find out just what can be done to help the quality of the air you are breathing.  Obviously, the air quality on the Bayou must be good as I have lichen laden trees!  I can breathe easy and also enjoy some pretty funky looking bits of life while out and about the hillside.

No comments:

Post a Comment