Monday, February 8, 2016

Rediscovery Time!

  I just finished the new playroom in the nick of time!  The grandlittles (along with mom and dad) are on their way to the Bayou.  As far as I know, I have things ready for "little people" (as Son calls them) to be here.  Without spending a dime, I managed to pull together enough toys from the family stash of "heirlooms" for the room to be filled with joyous times.  I am hoping the grandlittles find it as fun as can be and know that MawMaw would do it all again for them if the need arises.

  I have not told my son and daughter-in-law about the room's transformation.  I wanted it to be a surprise for them as well.  Maybe this was a bad idea as they made a request to use the room for the baby's sleeping quarters.  Oops!  Sorry!  I removed the bed to make more play space!  But all will work itself out accordingly as it always does.  

  The playroom is filled with not only toys from days past but also has a reading area filled with books from when my kids were tykes.  One book in particular should bring back a few memories.  A small book called "Sun Up" was my oldest son's (dad of the grandlittles) favorite when he was a mere tyke himself.  This is the book that he always wanted me to read to him at bedtime.  This is, also, the book that has a story behind it.  One day when he was about three years old, Mark (son) was in his room reading aloud.  I was amazed!  My son was the smartest kid on earth!  He was reading fluently at age three!  I went in and listened. He was so proud to read the book to me for a change.  All was great until I realized that he was actually holding the book upside down!  He was NOT reading at all!  He had memorized the book word for word and was merely reciting it to me.  For a moment, my bubble was burst then it dawned on me that for him to have such a good memory was amazing in itself!  It did not matter that the book was upside down....it did not matter that he was reciting instead of reading....he had developed a love for books and knowledge and that was all that did matter!  He was the smartest kid on earth...at least in his mom's eyes.  



  Now the little book sits next to his very first bunny rabbit as it waits for his children to find the joy from their dad's childhood.  This should be a very interesting visit as I watch a dad and his children discover things...the kids will discover the love for the past and their dad will rediscover his past.  Time to sit back and watch....and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment