Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Sentinel

  After taking the old dog out for a short walk to do his morning business, I let him go back to bed.  The morning fog would not be good for an ailing dog.  I ventured out alone for a few moments merely because I had heard the "critter neighborhood watch" gang screaming their alarms.  The blue jays were up in arms about something and they were not letting it go easy.  With finding the snake yesterday, this was most likely another.  Best I keep track of where they are since the old dog's senses are dulling and I do not want him getting bit.


   This, however, was not a snake.  The birds were alarmed that a great horned owl had decided to rest in the tall pine.  The jays were relentless causing the  owl to move further down into the creek.  Once all the commotion had calmed, the sweet music of a cardinal could be heard.  My path changed to find this bird.  Perched high in the old dead tree that sits on the edge of the marsh, the male cardinal was keeping watch on his ladylove below.  Obviously, birds think winter is over and nesting time has arrived.  In the shrub below the dead tree, the female cardinal was trying out her new abode.  Whether she chooses this nest or waits to lay eggs in another is to be seen.  Whichever, I am sure Mr. Cardinal will stand guard for her.  Last year, the small screech owl actually raided the cardinal nest in this very same shrub so it is doubtful she will try it again.

  My quick outing had to come to a halt as I needed to check on the old dog.  He does not do well without my presence, as of late.  

No comments:

Post a Comment